Tuesday, July 29, 2008

taking money from strangers....

So this morning Emily and I were at Wal Mart getting the last of our shopping done for the weekend, and we had something weird and unexpected happen. We were standing in by the bananas when this older couple said hello to Emily. I prompted her to respond and she gave a wave along with her quiet hi. As I turned to tell them to have a great day, they told me to bring that "little beauty" over so they could see her up close. So I did. As we walked closer I realized that the wife was holding a dollar bill in her hand. I said that they didn't have to do that and they wouldn't take no for an answer. So I let Emily reach out and take the money, and when she did she said thank you. They explained that they were tickled to have her say hello to them earlier and that they wanted to do something special for her. Then they went into the story of how they have one son, 2 grandchildren and 4 great-grandchildren who love 685 miles away, and that they felt the need to spoil a little...so they did. Emily held on to that dollar with all of her might until she decided to put it in her pocket. She even offered to pay for the groceries...

No comments: